November Morning

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pumpkin Fun!

This past weekend was all about pumpkins for us.  On Saturday we went to the pumpkin patch just down the street from our house.  Dave and I both picked out two perfect pumpkins for carving.  That evening we went over to the Larsen's house to carve pumpkins together.  We had a fun night making our pumpkin masterpieces and watching The Others.

Dave was reluctant to carve a pumpkin because he wasn't so successful last year.  I assured him that he could do the scared face pumpkin page from our book.  His pumpkin turned out great!  If you are wondering what is up with Dave's face, he said he was trying to match his pumpkin's expression. :)

I carved a scary vampire bat which took a rediculous amount of time, but I loved the way it turned out!

Daniel carved a scary face which supposedly frightened Dave's pumpkin.

It's kind of hard to tell in this picture, but Alexa carved a cool spider with a witch's hat.


This weekend I also decided to make pumpkin pie, using an actual pumpkin!  I was nervous about how it would turn out, but it was delicious!  I also tried cooking the pumpkin seeds, but they burned.  Oh well, better luck next year.

The first step to making a pumpkin pie is to cut off the stem, scoop out the seeds and guts, cut the pumpkin in half, and then lay the halves face down on a cookie sheet.  Then bake the pumpkin for an hour and a half.

Once the pumpkin has baked, you scoop out all the good stuff from the shells.  The pumpkin has the consistency of mashed potatoes at this point and comes easily away from the shells.

The next step is to mix the pumpkin with all of the remaining ingredients.

The last step is to fill your pie shell with the pumpkin mixture.  Next year I think I will attempt a homemade pie shell, but for this year I just went with a frozen one.

Ta-Dah!  I was so proud of myself.

All in all, we had a great weekend being creative with our pumpkins!

2 comments:

  1. FUN! SO glad I get to see what you 2 are up to now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post the recipe girl! That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete