November Morning

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Weekend Work

Well, we had a pretty busy weekend.  We decided to tackle our downstairs bathroom!  It was in need of some major color and warmth. 

This picture makes it look like the walls are yellow, but they are really a stark white.

I have been thinking for a while now that I wanted to paint it a burnt orange color.  That may sound kind of wierd/gross, but Dave found a really cool color called Crisp Autumn Leaves that was just what I had invisioned.  The good thing about the bathroom is that it is only a half bathroom so the taping didn't take too long.  Taping is the worst!  Before we could begin painting though, we needed to get the mirror off the wall.  I really wanted a mirror with a cool frame, so the genaric one had to go.  The mirror was glued on to the wall with something really powerful.  We weren't exactly sure how to take it off so we Googled it which pretty much just made us scared because most people seemed to have their mirrors shatter when trying to take them off!  We read that you should tape the mirror with maksing tape so that if the mirror does shatter, the pieces will stick to the tape.  So, we taped up the mirror and Dave began trying to pry it off with a kitchen knife.  Well, that didn't work so he got out his pry bar.  I couldn't watch, so I just left Dave to work his magic.  Luckily he was able to pry it from the wall in one piece!  He's such a man. 



Not too much of the wall came off either, so we decided to just paint right over it since we are just going to hang another mirror in the same spot. The painting was kind of on the difficult side though because it was really awkward to get behind the sink and toilet.  Dave said I had to do that part because he is too big- lucky me. Well, it took two coats of paint, but it looks fabulous!  We really love it!

This picture makes it look red, but it's really a shade of orange. :)

Right now we just need to hang up our new mirror, put up these cool pictures I found at Ross, and add a few more decorations.  We also bought a small can of white paint to touch up the ceiling.  I swear no matter how well you tape, the paint always works it way onto the ceiling!

Saturday night we went out with some friends and had a good time going to dinner and watching a movie.  However, the good times were short lived as we came home to a mess of toilet paper all over our house!  Words can't even begin to describe how angry I was about this.  We still have no idea who did this to our house and I don't really want to know because I don't think I'll be able to get over it.  Not only did we get tpd, but whoever did it also smashed my pumpkin that was on the front porch.  To me, that's crossing the line between doing something funny (even though it's not) and doing something viscious.  Needless to say, I took the event really personally so I'm still trying to work through it.  Oh well, life goes on.


Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I am looking forward to a break from work plus a lot of fun.  We are having our big Thanksgiving meal at Tucanos with our really good friends, Dan and Alexa Larsen.  I can't wait to get stuffed.  Plus, I'm totally hitting up Black Friday (starting at midnight this year), with or without Dave. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for not cooking on Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you guys got TPed! that seems so random!

    ReplyDelete