November Morning

Thursday, November 1, 2012

10/23/12- Our First Day as Parents

On Monday, October 22nd I went to the hospital for my second round of non-stress tests.  These are tests that measure the amount of amniotic fluid, monitor contractions, and monitor the baby's heartbeat.  Due to some dips in the baby's heartbeat it was determined that I should be induced in the morning.  Hearing that sent a range of emotions through my body, but by that point I was ready for the baby to come.  Dave and I went out for one last child-free night to have a nice dinner at Ruby River.  It was great to spend the evening talking about what was going to happen the next day.

On Tuesday, October 23rd we got a phone call at 5:45am from the hospital telling us that they had a room and nurses ready for us.  We quickly got ready and headed down to Utah Valley Regional Hospital.  I was pretty anxious but I only cried a little on the way there.  We walked up to the Labor & Delivery floor, filled out some paperwork, and then went to our assigned room.  The room was really big and much nicer than I expected.  It had all of the hospital equipment, but wihout the sterile hospital feel.  The room also had really big windows where we could watch the stormy, overcast weather.

The nurses spent about an hour asking me questions and getting everything ready.  Also, Dr.Nance came to see me and break my water.  I was terrified to have the IV put in me, but the nurse did a great job and only had to stick me once.  They started my first dose of pitocin at 8:00am.  Every half hour or so, they would come back in the room to increase the amount of pitocin entering the IV.  I quickly dialated from 1cm to 3cm.  I endured the contractions until about 10:30am.  At that point, I decided to get an epidural.  I was really scared about it, but it turned out fine and I loved the numbing effect!  About 20 minutes after getting the epidural, I no longer felt the pain from the contractions.  Then, kind of out of nowhere, I had dialated to 10cm by 12:00pm.  The nurses called Dr.Nance and he said he would come around 1:00pm.  He was quite a bit late, but as soon as he came he got down to buisness.  I began pushing at around 2:00pm, had an episiotomy shortly after, and we had a baby at 2:10pm!
Even though he said he didn't want to, Dave watched the whole thing and cut the umbilical cord.  Dave was a really great partner throughout the whole labor and I am so glad he was there to support me.  They took the baby to a little bed, cleaned him up, and took his measurements.  Dawson Crew Gregory weighed 8lbs 6oz and was 20.5 inches long.  Quite a big boy!
Dawson was crying a lot as they were cleaning him up.  The doctor said he had a grunt when he cried which meant that he wasn't breathing very well because amniotic fluid was still in his lungs.  They had to take Dawson to the NICU right away to take care of the problem.  However, they did let me hold him for one minute before taking him.
Dave stayed with the baby the whole time he was in the NICU.  I remained in the Labor & Delivery room to get all cleaned up.  It was kind of strange though, because after awhile I found myself all alone in the room for quite some time.  I always pictured being able to hold my baby for a long time with Dave after giving birth, but instead I was just in a room alone.  I spent the time calling my family members to tell them about Dawson's arrival.  The nurses then came for me to take me to the Mother & Baby floor.  They said Dawson was doing really good now and would meet me in my new room shortly.  The nurses had to wheel me down to my new room because I was still pretty numb from the epidural.  The Mother & Baby room was also really nice and calming.  Apparently we got one of the four big rooms, lucky us!  After Dawson got released from the NICU, they took him to give him a bath.  Finally, almost four hours after giving birth I was able to be with my sweet baby- completly healthy and clean.

Becoming a mother is such an incredible feeling.  It's amazing how you automatically have so much love for someone you've just met.  Dave and I were both overcome with emotion from the whole experience.  We love Dawson and we are so glad he has joined our family.
Our stay in the hospital was actually really pleasant.  All the nurses I had were incredibly kind and helpful.  The room service food was pretty good too.  I'm not sure Dave loved the pull out chair/couch to sleep on, but he was a good sport.  We stayed nearly the full 48 hours and came home on Thursday afternoon.  It's kind of hard to believe that they let you just leave with your baby when you have no idea what you're doing.  The car ride home made us a little nervous, but we did make it home safely (to a 51 degree house- the heat was off the whole time we were gone).
So, was it worth it?  Absolutely.  Would I do it again?  Sure, after I have a few years to forget.  To be honest, the pregnancy and labor were not that bad at all for me.  The worst part for me has been the recovery.  It has been fairly painful and uncomfortable, but it does get better each day. 

We love our little boy and we learn more each day about how to take care of him.  He has already brought so much joy into our home.  We are grateful to be trusted with him and we will always treasure the memory of his birth.

3 comments:

  1. i loved reading your birth story, i'm glad you posted it. congrats you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is awesome how quickly you had him, and I'm glad he's safe and healthy, even though you had to wait to enjoy him! He's a beautiful boy! I'm so happy for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH! Congratualtions! I hope that things are going well! I was thinking about you wondering if you were still pregnant. I almost even called Spanish Oaks to ask DeAnn. Haha
    I remember those same feelings...how they just let you take this baby home and you feel so underqualified but somehow it all works out. :)
    I'm proud of you! You did awesome with everything! I can't wait to see more pictures of your handsome man!
    ps love the nursery

    ReplyDelete