November Morning

Sunday, December 1, 2013

5th Grade Preparations

This Summer I also spent a lot of time getting ready for the upcoming school year.  I decided to make a change and teach 5th grade.  This meant moving classrooms and redecorating.  I've never been one to have a theme for my classroom, mostly because I think they end up looking really tacky and busy but I decided to go for a theme this time around.  I chose a patriotic them to reflect the American studies of the 5th grade Social Studies Curriculum.

I used a cute patriotic border to frame these pocket charts for Mountain Math and Language.  I also made a cute bunting for the window.

I love the little decoration under the whiteboard.  It's hard to see here, but there are cute little American flags on twine.

I really wanted a director's chair for Read Aloud.  Since there is no carpet for the students to gather on, I needed a tall chair so I could see them all while reading.  Well, I found out that director's chairs are actually quite pricey but I ended up finding one listed on KSL and picked it up for only $10.  Later I was able to buy the seat and backing for only $10 as well!


Love the way this turned out!  I've since added the title to the blue section.  The left is my focus wall, the middle is a great math bulletin board idea I found on Pinterest, and the right is an organizational system for guided reading.

I also made a lot of cute patriotic art to frame.  It happened to be the 4th of July as I was putting all of this together, so there were a ton of free patriotic printables online that I decided to use as decorations.  I bought all the frames at the dollar store and then spray painted them red, white, or blue.  Then I used patriotic ribbon to hang them.  So cute!

This is my writing wall that I made using plastic plates from the dollar store.  It has a bit more to it now, but this was the start.

Patriotic paper balls- $0.75 each on clearance after the 4th of July!

I made this cute candy jar using a flower pot, glass bowl, and a door knob.

I have never had many family pictures in my classroom before, but I decided to change that.  I hung all of these pictures on twine using mini clothespins.  It is seriously adorable!

I also spent a long time making cursive Word Wall letters and backing them on red or blue paper.

I have absolutely loved teaching fifth grade!  It has been a healthy change for me.  The curriculum is exciting and the age group is a lot of fun.  I do spend quite a bit of time preparing lessons since it's all new to me, but it will be worth it next year!  

Here is a beautiful picture of me on Colonial Day.  My mother was nice enough to make me this outfit.  Gotta love dress up days.


No comments:

Post a Comment